Wednesday, March 17, 2010

South by Southwest... Oh yes..


Photo of SXSW® 2010 Showcasing Act: Ten Bears.. from the SXSW site.

Ok I admit it, all my life I have loved music, from chant to rap. One of the festivals I would love to visit one day is "South by Southwest' - check their main webpage out here The South by Southwest® (SXSW®) Conferences & Festivals.

Wow - they have everything going on and the kitchen sink. nearly 2000 acts now that's a lot of music, more importantly it is a chance for many of the great 'unknowns' to possibly get 'found' (still not sure why there are so many rocks to hide under) - I like that, it reminds me of the Edinburgh fringe festival (they actually call it the Edinburgh Festival Fringe), where I believe Monty Python and Rowan Atkinson and many Brit Comedians played - probably in tiny church halls as they honed their skills and many budding playwrights got their first - lol maybe only- public airings.



If I lived in Austin I would be going, if I lived in Edinburgh I would be going there too! ;)

1 comment:

  1. You might say that Fringe is the new black. There are Fringe Festivals world wide. They are great for street performances, also called busking. A famous group in the Busker tradition is DAAS -The Doug Anthony All Stars. DAAS achieved success at the 1986 Adlaide Fringe Festival then at the Edinburgh Fringe festival. A DAAS member, Michael McDermott went on to host a satirical news-based quiz in Australia called Good News Week. A famous song performed by DAAS and Michael McDermott is Throw Your Arms Around Me, an anthem of sorts in Australia.

    ReplyDelete